if you have anxiety and you do a thing like get out of bed or call your mom back or go to the grocery store or go take that exam or give a presentation i’m really proud of you and if you don’t do that stuff i’m still super proud of you for existing!!!!
stop whatever you’re doing
you’ll be ok
if you see this, somebody cares
times are tough, but somebody cares.
you should NEVER feel like you deserve to die, and you don’t
don’t do it. not tonight, not tomorrow, not ever
don’t do it because somebody cares
don’t do it because there is so much more to you than sadness
- Let yourself want. Allow yourself to have desires, whether or not you think you deserve them, whether or not you think they will happen.
- Say no. Let go of people being upset with you for saying it. Let go of feeling guilty for saying it. When you want to, say no.
- Own your own feelings. Don’t place them onto other people to carry for you. And remember that you are not responsible for the feelings of others.
- Call people out when you feel them trying to manipulate you. And try not to get mad at yourself when they do use you. People trying to take advantage of you makes them a shitty person. not you.
- Disengage from emotional-energy-sucking people, situations, and conversations. Your time and energy are valuable. You are valuable. You get to decide who and what are worthy of you.
- Work to stay present with and conscious of your feelings so that you may be more aware of yourself, what you need, and how best to communicate.
- Allow yourself to move through fear/anxiety instead of being stuck. Allow yourself to make mistakes. Mistakes are a learning experience.
- Honor yourself, your accomplishments (no matter how small), and how far you’ve come.
- Stay vulnerable. Stay genuine.
- Remember that the smallest step towards any of these things is a success. Growing is a never-ending process, not a checklist.
- Forgive yourself.
- Forgive yourself.
- Forgive yourself.
If you are reading this, you have survived your entire life up until this point.
You have survived traumas, heartbreak, devastation, the elements, different phases of life. And here you are.
You go, motherfucker. You’re awesome.
- You have inherent worth. You don’t have to do anything to prove it, just existing is enough.
- You deserve love, support and respect all the time. Not just when you did something particularly agreeable, not just when the person is in a good mood or physically and mentally well or is treated by others respectfully; you deserve to be treated well ALL THE TIME.
- You deserve to freely express your emotions and speak your own realities without fear of retaliation or shame.
- You deserve to be able to tell someone why you don’t like how they’re treating you and a) not fear retaliation, intimidation, violence or emotional manipulation because of it, and b) actually have that person listen, take it to heart, and then change their behavior accordingly.
- You deserve autonomy over yourself. You deserve to think, feel, say, wear, do, and associate with what or whomever you want without any outside pressure or control. [Clearly you aren’t free to infring on the rights of others or treat them oppressively, but pretty much everything else is up to you and your best judgement.]
- You deserve to put yourself first. You deserve to have your life be about you. Everyone else can come after.
- You deserve space when you need space.
- You deserve to reach out to whoever you want for support.
- Your emotions and experiences are valid.
- You are important.
- You deserve to defend yourself and fight tooth and nail to ensure that the above points are acknowledged and respected.
- You deserve to to have your body, identity, beliefs, history, heritage, community and individual struggles respected by default. You deserve to never have to defend, apologize for, or hide who and what you are, what your body looks like or what you believe in. [The exception is if any of that is oppressive to others. Whiteness as a construct and white supremacy are not cultures, they are bigotry, hatred and oppression and those things do not deserve respect.]
- You deserve complete control over who you associate with. You deserve to cut off communication with anyone if you feel that is the healthiest decision for you. You don’t need to justify that decision to anyone but yourself.
- You deserve complete control over what information you choose to disclose to others about your body, your history, and your identities. You can be out if you want, you can be closeted if you want. You don’t owe anyone anything and you’re allowed to withhold any and all information about yourself that you’re uncomfortable sharing or that may put you at risk or in danger. [The exception to this is if withholding information that could have a direct impact on others, for example, not telling a potential sexual partner about your STD status. If it doesn’t affect them, it isn’t any of their business and you deserve to keep it to yourself if you want without fear of retaliation, guilt or shame.]
- You are perfect exactly the way you are.
- You deserve to survive. No matter how many times you may have fucked up in the past, or how “worthless” this oppressive society may tell you you are, you have infinite value by default, you have the right to choose how to live your life, and you deserve to live and be happy.